Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 01:17, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> It would be much harder for non-GNOME apps to deal with inconsistent on-disk
> locations (user A might have his files in ~/Desktop, user B might have her
> files in ~/[UTF-8-GUNK]).

Has it not occurred to you that users will want to do this anyway
because they want to share different things at different times and
changing the path name is an intuitive way to do it ?

Also remember this is very different to ~/Desktop. There is a legitimate
reason for wanting to know WTF the desktop is. There isn't a legitimate
reason in general for applications to want to know how to publish stuff
without the user deciding to do it, and those apps which are aware
should *really* be sure what they are doing.

The only app I can see that might want to know is nautilus so it can put
a nice icon on your personal sharing area (and I don't see it cares
about other users here)

Alan