Re: Why gnome-system-tools aren't included yet [Was: Re: new modulesconsensus]

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:51 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 11:51, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I think there's lots of support for the Network tool as well, but I
> > haven't managed to persuade Havoc.
>
> Well, it's not like I have veto power. All I'm saying is, we can do
> substantially better with a system involving applets and dialogs that
> come up automatically, so that should be the direction in the 2.10
> timeframe.
>
> Even for things like static IP address you can do stuff like "Unable to
> configure the network automatically, would you like to provide network
> configuration manually?" in a dialog when dhcp fails.

Well, and why can't the current g-s-t network tool/backends be the base
for this? there are already lots of code working on lots of
distributions in a consistent way, and the tool already provides such
dialogs.

Seriously, I see the network tool functionality as a really necessary
part of the desktop and I'm proposing a code that works right now on
2.8, I can't believe it's being refused in favour of a code that I
haven't even seen and which ideally will be ready in the next time
frame.

Even more, there are cases that can't be handled so easily (as I said
several times: PPP connections, storing interfaces configuration in
distro-specific files, WEP keys, ...) and for this I'd encourage as much
as possible using at least the network backend, which already does that
kind of stuff, the rest is simply a matter of improving the UI

	Regards