Re: Why gnome-system-tools aren't included yet [Was: Re: new modulesconsensus]

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:51, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 11:51, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I think there's lots of support for the Network tool as well, but I
> > haven't managed to persuade Havoc.
>
> Well, it's not like I have veto power. All I'm saying is, we can do
> substantially better with a system involving applets and dialogs that
> come up automatically, so that should be the direction in the 2.10
> timeframe.
>
> Even for things like static IP address you can do stuff like "Unable to
> configure the network automatically, would you like to provide network
> configuration manually?" in a dialog when dhcp fails.

We should still have an explicit configuration utility.  I quite often
have cases where there is DHCP, but I don't want to use it - I want use
my own static IP address.  Especially useful during debugging or setting
up a new machine.