Gnome Storgage DB [was Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8]

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 01:15, Enver ALTIN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:09 +0100, jamie wrote:
> > Ideally users should be mapped to the unix usernames but that can be
> > done via a script (EG if a user is running GNOME for the first time, a
> > script can be called automatically to create the user and permissions at
> > that point). I agree that manually setting up an RDBMS without this
> > would be cumbersome.
>
> Jamie,
>
> First of all, I have to admin that I have been using InterBase from v4
> series and I worked as a Delphi/C++Builder/Win32 developer in the past.
> I love the way IB/FB is. The only oddity it has is, you know, the way it
> maps isc4.gdb users to Unix users.

Thats a non-issue with the embedded version (I believe it does not use
isc4.gdb as embedded versions are stand alone and independent ). You
could anyhow easily enough use sysdba/masterkey with the embedded one as
security would not be an issue.

>  It didn't cause any problem about
> this yet, though. Overall, I love it, but the build system and its
> layout of source tree. It's just cumbersome in that area. There was no
> autoconf/automake'd, traditional way of building it; and the build
> process was, well, a bit, tricky.

That would be an issue for the Distro. If a DB was a dependency for
Gnome then the distro would have to ensure it was there.

> But that's not the problem. I'd love if you could please stop inserting
> Firebird everywhere? Don't get me wrong, this gets more irritating, even
> for me.

Sure no problem.

> There are a lot more things to worry about the DBMS thing for
> GNOME than just features and license.

Thats true. Having looked more at Gnome Storage it would seem that
embedded DBs are out. As far as I can tell and with Linux being a multi
user OS and Gnome Storage being a real time facility, the DB for Gnome
storage has to be a system wide daemon (I.E. if you are performing file
operations with multiple users at the same time then they all need to
read/write to the same DB ergo the DB files cannot be in a user's home
directory and they must therefore be system wide).

If we cant use embeddable DBs then this does as you have said present
configuration problems with merging of unix users and DB users -
something to think about...

jamie.