Re: Application menu.

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 10:08, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > > And, even, "uninstall" and, maybe, "upgrade".
> >
> > Well, the only thing I see here is that you don't really want to do
> > either of those things while the app is actually running.  The
> > autopackage folks have some good ideas for doing this w/ the app's
> > launchers, tho.
> >

> You might be right for "uninstall" but I've already seen apps (mostly
> Windows apps, and LimeWire AFAIR) proposing to update the app while
> running. But, as you say, it might not be the best place for that.

It would depend on the app and the upgrade, I imagine.  For example, an
app whose upgrade moves/removes/adds datafiles would probably need the
app to restart, else it may begin malfunctioning.  If the app is
something document oriented, or if it has any kind of state (like just
about every app), the user may not appreciate the implicit 'restart' the
upgrade will require.

Would be much better, I'd think, to keep upgrade outside the app, and to
actually find a way to make sure the app isn't running when upgrading.