Re: GnomeVFS backend for GtkFileChooser

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 20:17, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> Where should we put the implementation of GtkFileSystemGnomeVFS?  Having
> a stand-alone module just for it sounds silly.  If we move it to
> gnome-vfs itself, it would mean making gnome-vfs depend on GTK+.

It means a compile-time dependency, you could still split the two ABIs
at runtime (have two binary RPMs for example, gnome-vfs and
gnome-vfs-gtk). GConf already has a compile-time dependency on gtk and
gnome-vfs depends on gconf IIRC so technically speaking you're not
adding anything new here.

As long as you can jhbuild without circular deps, I would try to keep
related functionality together, so putting the backend in gnome-vfs is
logical. If someone is really going to compile gnome-vfs with no GTK on
the system, then have a configure --enable-gtk=[yes/no/auto] as dbus
does for each of its dependencies. After all, you're not going to use
the GtkFileSystem backend if you don't have GTK+ anyway.

Havoc