Re: TARBALLS DUE: GNOME 2.5.0 Development Release

On 21/10/03 03:42, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

Mark Finlay <sisob tuxfamily org> writes:

If we do pre-release tarballs, they'll be available for 2.5.0 (otherwise you
won't be able to build half of the existing modules).
There will probably still be trouble with 2.5.0 - right now jhbuild on
HEAD uses gtk HEAD and doesn't get very far before erroring out.

Yeah.  I've been removing all the -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED flags locally
for now to get it all building.  But we should all try to branch and get
building on GTK+-HEAD ASAP, so that we can shake out as many problems
from GTK+ as we can.
This does bring up the question of whether it is right to have these flags turned on by default in tarball builds at all though. Do we want released tarballs to stop building in the future because some library they use deprecated a symbol in a future version?

It sort of defeats the purpose of backward compatibility in the platform if all of our applications explicitly turn off all the support code designed to provide this compatibility.

I am not saying that the *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED macros should never be used; just that they shouldn't be turned on by default for tarball builds (kind of like -Werror ...).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/