Re: No Flags "Policy"

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus gnome org>
> Subject: Re: No Flags "Policy"
>
> On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 04:30, Chipzz wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> > > From: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> > > Subject: Re: No Flags "Policy"
> > >
> > > <quote who="Julien Olivier">

> > > Think about the Free Software market though. If we piss off Chinese and
> > > Taiwanese hackers - to use the favourite example - who might be inspired to
> > > contribute to GNOME, that's a really bad thing. Lots of potential hackers.
> > >
> > > It comes down to:
> > >
> > >   a) Using flags is impractical and confusing (despite the "pretty pictures"
> > >      and "icons are easier to spot" arguments).
> > >
> > >   b) Using flags may artificially reduce our audience.
> > >
> > >   c) Using flags may offend some users.
> > >
> > > - Jeff
> >
> > One solution to this whole problem may be to make it a compile-time
> > option, something like --enable-politicly-charged-flags, in whatever
> > module these flags are included.
> >
> This is a horrible solution, who is do determine which flags are
> 'politicaly charged'? Personally I think this whole issue is a stirring
> up a storm in a glass of water.

It may be a horrible solution, but at least it's far better than not
including flags at all. And who will determine which flags are
'politicaly charged'? I think we just mentioned most of them in this
thread.

I am proposing a technical solution to a political problem. What is your
issue with that? Of course, you're welcome to propose a better solution.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny