Re: Proposing libgnomesu for inclusion in Gnome 2.6

Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

I'd like to see a real list and discussion of the advantages/disadvantages
of each one. I believe that Hongli's library was written in response to
previous discussions.

It is. My library's API is very simple and high-level. Apps are not supposed to control every single thing. libgnomesu will use either consolehelper, PAM, a modified version of 'su' (using shadow passwords or just /etc/passwd if no shadow is available) or sudo (although this latter is broken so I've disabled it). It isn't designed to replace the entire authentication system, but merely to provide a high-level wrapper around whatever is available on your system.