Re: Proposing libgnomesu for inclusion in Gnome 2.6

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 23:25, Hongli Lai wrote:
> Sven Herzberg wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >  well, the people working on gksu are currently creating their own
> >library for login/auth stuff. I would prefer this library because it's
> >actively developed (by a team of currently 4 people). I know that Hongli
> >didn't have time to create a proper website/cvs repo for libgnomesu
> >because he was too busy at school and I wouldn't want to see a mostly
> >unmaintained module in GNOME (Hongli, this is not against you).
> >

> Well I don't care really. If gksu is really much better than libgnomesu,
> then by all means use it! You have my blessing. As long as GNOME will
> get a sane framework for this kind of stuff.

What's the use cases for su-in-the-desktop? I would have thought that
the big one would be a nautilus (or gnome-vfs) subprocess grabbing
superuser rights to edit system files then dropping them again later.

Apart from this being a fairly big code change, I would expect the
neatest way to be via PAM.

What other things do we want su-in-the-desktop for? And why is it better
than PAM?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Sobala <as583 cam ac uk>

Given by our hand in the meadow that is called Runnymede, between
Windsor and Staines, on the fifteenth day of June in the seventeenth
year of our reign.