Re: Gnome desktop files doesn't follow the freedesktop standards

Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> writes:

> > > In Swedish we translate it to "Webbläsaren Mozilla", i.e. the equivalent
> > > of "[the] Mozilla web browser".
> > >
> > > Is there a reason something similar can't be done in Danish?
> >
> > It is a possibility, but I think it is too bulky. For example, it
> > would then be "Cd-lydudtrækkeren Sound Juicer". It does not seem to
> > fit well in Danish.
>
> IMHO bulky and correct is *way* better than short and incorrect...

Now you are getting besides the point, Christian. :-) I don't
translate menu items to the incorrect example you cited. The problem
is precisely that any correct translation is bulky. That's why I hope
people will settle on another form, cf. your other message about going
straight to the root of the problem. ;-)

Of the suggestions I have seen so far, "Web Browser (Mozilla)" is
actually the easiest to deal with. At least it would be no worse than
the English text.

> > (BTW, the equivalent would be "[the] web browser Mozilla".)
>
> "the web browser Mozilla" and "the Mozilla web browser" are AFAIK
> equivalent in English.

I was referring to the rearrangement of the words. Even if the meaning
is not altered, it may change what is being emphasized. I am not sure
it is important here.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/