Re: My take on Totem and GStreamer

Il gio, 2003-05-29 alle 15:50, Jeff Waugh ha scritto:
> <quote who="Seth Nickell">
>
> And on my random commentary about Rhythmbox:
>
> > > [1] Which, as it happens, I don't think should be in the desktop release
> > > (I don't think music library management is a 'greatest common factor'
> > > feature) but should be blessed in an official GNOME release of sorts.
> >
> > Rhythmbox isn't "music library management" software, its a music player,
> > which is pretty basic functionality at this point. I think music playing,
> > video playing, and making presentations are the most desired "tasks" not
> > yet handled by GNOME (though of course, we're still waiting on stable
> > GNOME2 ports of some even more important software like Gnumeric and
> > AbiWord, so perhaps its not fair to say that these are currently covered).
>
> I guess my disagreement stems from 'greatest common factor' issues. Simple
> media playing is useful for lots of different kinds of users, but music
> playing and organising may not be. Consider a locked down corporate desktop
> environment... I think that the stuff we put into the Desktop release should
> minimally satisfy the greatest common factor of our users. "Accessories sold
> separately." ;-) Thus, I'm not sure that a music player and organiser fully
> fits in.

mmhhh.... So you think it's better include in desktop release a tool
like totem designed (at least in UI) for VIDEO playing that CAN be play
music file and put them in a playlist, then a complete audio solution?

The rhythmbox project is very ambitious: rb should be a music files
player (library AND playlist based), a CD player, an InternetRadio
player and a ripper/burner.

OK, this is not very UN*X way, but from user prospective, you can manage
all music in one place. Music and only music.

Totem is a good player, but it seems too much "pumped": you can play
audio files, video files, DVD, Video CD, Audio CD, Webcam ..... too much
and too much different IMHO.

But you are right: we need a _basic_ media player, something to play
video and audio file when you click them from file manager. Something
like BeOS mediaplayer, don't an application with thousand menu items :-)

> Totally random musings though, and good stuff to discuss over a beer at
> GUADEC, I'm sure. ;-)

:-)

--
Think bigger