Re: 2.4 Proposed New Modules - System Tools

El mar, 27 de 05 de 2003 a las 15:41, Murray Cumming Comneon com
escribió:
> > gnome-network - Network admin, things, maybe - might have something to do
> > with gnome-system-tools.
> >  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-network/
> >
> > gnome-system-tools - Additions for the GNOME control panel, traditionally
> > provided by distros.
> >  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/
>
> Hardly anyone has spoken about these ones [1], so I'll ask the usual
> ignorant questions instead:
>
> 1. What's the relationship between gnome-system-tools and gnome-network?
> Should they be combined?

gnome-network = utilities for the network
gst = configuration tools (users-admin , time-admin...)  , including
definition of network interfaces.

> 2. Are they supposed to provide only system-wide preferences as opposed to
> per-user preferences in the current control panel?
>    Something like the Preferences and System Settings menus in RedHat 9?
> 3. Why do the gnome-system-tools require a backend abstraction more than the
> current control panels do?

IMHO gst it's absolutly necesary in gnome2.4 and posterior version. We
need a standard configuration tools . Ok ,  I know that there are many
distros with their own tools. But in my opinion this option it's only
good at sort term. If for each distro there are a diferent tools , the
users will think and actually they think that gnome it's a inconsistent
desktop . Why ? It's very easy . When a user goes to free desktop , he
comes from propietary desktop . And in his old desktop there are a
specific tools for admin the system. When this user read a computer
press , he read about how admin they computer with a specifics tool
(windows = control panel , macOS = xxx) . But when the user comes to
GNOME , for each distro there are a diferent tools . And there are
diferent ways of admin the users , diferent ways of admin the the
printer , diferent ways (if there are) of configuration a ppp/eth
conection. That's a big error for GNOME like project , because when the
users goes to KDE for example there are a tool for modem conection KPPP
, there is an app for admin users KUSer and more apps ... Kcron ,
Kprinter .... . In my country (spain) there are several computer press
that writes about linux. But usually they starts with KDE for this
reason. If in GNOME we are working for give to the users a beatiful
desktop , accesible desktop , useful desktop .. i think that the next
step is goes to configuration tools . I think if we don't go to this way
we are doing a terrible error . We need help from de distros for develop
a stardard configuration tools by the way of gst. If the distros don't
want to help us (us = GNOME project) we must develop it . That's my
opinion , thanks for reading it .

That's a construtive critic , please don't use it for star a flame :)

Roberto

PD: My girlfriend said me that if gnome2.4 we don't have a dialer she
goes to KDE or come back to windows. Please , save my relation-ship !!
 ;DD

Roberto Majadas
roberto majadas hispalinux es
Hispalinux - Spain                              http://www.hispalinux.es