Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] 2.4 Proposed New Modules - System Tools

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 15:41, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > gnome-network - Network admin, things, maybe - might have something to do
> > with gnome-system-tools.
> >  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-network/
> >
> > gnome-system-tools - Additions for the GNOME control panel, traditionally
> > provided by distros.
> >  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/
>
> Hardly anyone has spoken about these ones [1], so I'll ask the usual
> ignorant questions instead:

I'll speak about gnome-network...

> 1. What's the relationship between gnome-system-tools and gnome-network?
> Should they be combined?

no, gnome-system-tools are system-wide configuration tools, whereas
gnome-network is a set of network oriented user tools.

> 2. Are they supposed to provide only system-wide preferences as opposed to
> per-user preferences in the current control panel?

gnome-network includes tools, not preferences applets/apps.

>    Something like the Preferences and System Settings menus in RedHat 9?
> 3. Why do the gnome-system-tools require a backend abstraction more than the
> current control panels do?
> 4. Is anybody still suggesting these for GNOME 2.4. Why not exactly?

gnome-network is in heavy development phase, and so, we haven't wanted
to propose it for 2.4, but wait for 2.6 to have it in a better shape
than what it is today.

> 5. What's going to change about that for GNOME 2.6. They seem very useful
> and I hear they work fairly well.

did you hear gnome-network works fairly well? That would be awesome,
since we haven't even published any release.

> [1] The GEP end date is now June 2nd. Not much time left.

unless we expend a lot of hours in gnome-network hacking until then,
it's going to be impossible to include it in a good shape in 2.4. So,
unless those comments you've heard are true and people are impatiently
waiting for a gnome-network release, well, we could include it, but I'd
vote for waiting for 2.6 :-)

cheers