Re: 2.4 Proposed New Modules - System Tools

El mar, 27 de 05 de 2003 a las 09:41, Murray Cumming Comneon com
escribió:
> > gnome-network - Network admin, things, maybe - might have something to do
> > with gnome-system-tools.
> >  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-network/

This is quite outdated.  Rodrigo will make a beta release soon.

> > gnome-system-tools - Additions for the GNOME control panel, traditionally
> > provided by distros.
> >  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/
>
> Hardly anyone has spoken about these ones [1], so I'll ask the usual
> ignorant questions instead:
>
> 1. What's the relationship between gnome-system-tools and gnome-network?
> Should they be combined?

g-s-t:  Admins task (such as configure networks cards, set domain
 and hostname, add users, etc.)
g-n: Network users tools (such as network cards informacion (aka.
 ifconfig), ping, traceroute, netstat, dns querys, desktop sharing,
 ssh/telnet, etc.)

> 2. Are they supposed to provide only system-wide preferences as opposed to
> per-user preferences in the current control panel?
>    Something like the Preferences and System Settings menus in RedHat 9?
> 3. Why do the gnome-system-tools require a backend abstraction more than the
> current control panels do?

Carlos Garnacho, can answer it better.

> 4. Is anybody still suggesting these for GNOME 2.4. Why not exactly?

We haven't had enough time to finish gnome-network.  Some minimals
tools are working (gnome-netinfo and gnome-remote-shell) now, and
we have talking with other developers about include their networks
tools as part as gnome-network.

> 5. What's going to change about that for GNOME 2.6. They seem very useful
> and I hear they work fairly well.

I think you mean g-s-t :-) gnome-network in CVS is different of
gnome-network in FTP (more stripped but more useful).

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:gpoo ubiobio cl