Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] RE: GnomeMeeting / OpenH323 [Was: 2.4 Module List]

Hi Christian,

> I mean we have the same situation with GStreamer, GStreamer depends on a
> lot of underlying libraries some of which change API more often than
> Bill Gates changes underwear. This do of course mean that stuff stop
> working if people try upgrading these libs without getting a new
> GStreamer release for them, but we have had few/no complaints about this
> so I think people are aware of/accept the problems they get themselves
> into if they try such stunts.

just to throw in my 2ct.. the problem with OpenH323 was an SONAME being
only lib*.so.1 for all libs whatever version they were.. this is now
being changed to lib*.so.1.$MINOR .. if they keep their promise not to
break API/ABI within that same major version number, there should be no
more (and no less) problems than with any other lib around.. it's still
a pain building it compared to others, bt that should be feasible with
packages (which most of the GNOME users will be using)..

..so in case they keep breaking ABI within same SONAMEs we just need to
bitch them to include $MAJOR.$MINOR.$BUILD into the SONAME (which i have
a patch for in case someone wants it), then we should be 100% safe..
btw. the debian nightly snaps are compiled with that patch, just to
ensure there's no libs-conflict with the developer testing versions..

--
Best regards,
 Kilian