RE: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules

> From: Paolo Maggi [mailto:paolo maggi polito it]
> > I think it's good that gedit supports more advanced features; if it
> > was just a super simple editor I just doubt we'd ever get enough
> > hacking/testing on it because none of us would use it much.
> >

> I completely agree with Havoc.
> My goal is to add to gedit all the features I need for my day by day
> work (i.e. mainly writing C and Java code and LaTeX
> documents).

So it just does syntax highlighting for C, Java, and Latex? I see it doesn't
do C++, well not with a .cc extension anyway. Isn't that a bit arbitrary?
How will you cope with the constant requests for syntax highlighting of
every possible programming language and file format?

> We think it should be
> possible to add a command line parameter to disable syntax
> highlighting
> and all the plugins.
> In this way we could have a gnome-text-editor script that calls gedit
> with the --I-want-a-simple-text-editor parameter.

Less options and better defaults, I think.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com