RE: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules

Hi Murray,

> So it just does syntax highlighting for C, Java, and Latex? I see it doesn't
> do C++, well not with a .cc extension anyway.

It should work with C++, if it does not work, then you have discovered a
bug.
Which extension are you using? Which is the mime type (as reported by
gnome-vfs) of the file you are trying to edit?

> Isn't that a bit arbitrary?
> How will you cope with the constant requests for syntax highlighting of
> every possible programming language and file format?

User can add support for they preferred programming language by
creating  a .lang file (it is a simple xml file) and install it in the
~/.gnome2/gtksourceview-1.0/language-specs directory.
If they want, they can send us the file and eventually I will add it to
gtksourceview.
Give a look to GtkSourceView for more info.
We already have file .lang files for the following languages:

ADA
C++
Desktop files
diff/patch files
HTML
IDL
JAVA
LaTeX
Perl
PO files
Python
XML

There is a php.lang file in bugzilla too.

> > We think it should be
> > possible to add a command line parameter to disable syntax
> > highlighting
> > and all the plugins.
> > In this way we could have a gnome-text-editor script that calls gedit
> > with the --I-want-a-simple-text-editor parameter.
>
> Less options and better defaults, I think.

Any more specific suggestion?

Ciao,
Paolo

--
Paolo Maggi                      E-mail: paolo DOT maggi AT polito DOT it
Dip. Automatica e Informatica    Tel.  : + 39 011 564 7078

A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.