Re: Gedit Slowness

On Sun, 11 May 2003 12:28:43 +0100, Sir MArk Finlay scribed thus:
> Are you running redhat? I've been fairly dissapointed with Gnome on
> redhat compared to the Garnome desktop I used to run.

Nope, Garnome on SuSE 8.0, but i'll be upgrading to redhat 9 tomorrow.
I'll decide then whether to move to garnome or not (I probably will).

> The weird thing is that it is really fast with a fresh user account,
> whereas with my account loads of small apps like gedit and the
> calculator are really slow.

Perhaps a gconf issue?

> I've had my user account since 2.0 so it could be an upgrade issue.
> How would I go about profiling ?

I'm not really sure to be honest. One thing you could do is try copying
dotfiles/dotdirs across to your new user account one by one and see at
what point speeds die (assuming they do). You could try copying GConf
branches separately as well.