Re: Gedit Slowness

> I don't think you are the only one. I sometimes browse linuxquestions.org
> and I've seen a worryingly large number of reports along the lines of
> "GNOME on my new Redhat 9 is incredibly slow, apps take forever to start
> up, KDE is much faster" which immediately set alarm bells ringing for me
> because I've always found GNOME to be faster than KDE, especially on
> startup times. My machine is far less beastly than yours and it takes all
> of 2 seconds for me.

Are you running redhat? I've been fairly dissapointed with Gnome on
redhat compared to the Garnome desktop I used to run.

The weird thing is that it is really fast with a fresh user account,
whereas with my account loads of small apps like gedit and the
calculator are really slow.

> So, I suspect there is an odd bug in gnome2.2 that kills startup time in
> some circumstances for some people. If you could do some profiling to see
> what's taking so long, I suspect that would solve these newbies problems
> as well.

I've had my user account since 2.0 so it could be an upgrade issue.
How would I go about profiling ?

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]