Re: Gedit Slowness

On Sun, 11 May 2003 09:33:57 +0100, Sir MArk Finlay scribed thus:
> Maybe I'm the only one with this problem,
> but with 2.2.x gedit has become one of the
> slowest loading applications on my desktop,
> and I don't even have any plugins installed.

I don't think you are the only one. I sometimes browse linuxquestions.org
and I've seen a worryingly large number of reports along the lines of
"GNOME on my new Redhat 9 is incredibly slow, apps take forever to start
up, KDE is much faster" which immediately set alarm bells ringing for me
because I've always found GNOME to be faster than KDE, especially on
startup times. My machine is far less beastly than yours and it takes all
of 2 seconds for me.

So, I suspect there is an odd bug in gnome2.2 that kills startup time in
some circumstances for some people. If you could do some profiling to see
what's taking so long, I suspect that would solve these newbies problems
as well.