Re: Two questions about medusa

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 06:44, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 23:50, snickell stanford edu wrote:
> > > Also, Medusa use DB1.  It might be time to consider a newer version
> > > that
> > > offers better storage and retrieval methods.  I had to make a
> > > symbolic
> > > link to get Medusa to compile after I upgraded to Redhat 9.
> >
> > I'm considering moving medusa to SQLite, possibly accessed through
> > GNOME-DB

if you use libgda (gnome-db's low level data access library), you can
support SQLite as well as other bigger RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL, Oracle,
etc), just using one library. So, yes, you've had a great idea :-)

>  (in the hopes that eventually we could build a networkable
> > searching service that could also search NFS mounts and such).

what are your ideas on using a database for this?

>  The
> > posted specs/stats on SQLite look good, and it seems to work as
> > advertised. Once I've graduated I hope to have time to test it more
> > thoroughly.
>
> SQLite does look good. It would easier to use it make ranking work using
> something that follows relational rules.

SQLite works yes, but it's quite limited, so if you want to use powerful
relational database features, you'll need a better database system.
Thus, using libgda would give you support for both all database
scenarios.

cheers