Re: Two questions about medusa

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 23:50, snickell stanford edu wrote:
> > Also, Medusa use DB1.  It might be time to consider a newer version
> > that
> > offers better storage and retrieval methods.  I had to make a
> > symbolic
> > link to get Medusa to compile after I upgraded to Redhat 9.
>
> I'm considering moving medusa to SQLite, possibly accessed through
> GNOME-DB (in the hopes that eventually we could build a networkable
> searching service that could also search NFS mounts and such). The
> posted specs/stats on SQLite look good, and it seems to work as
> advertised. Once I've graduated I hope to have time to test it more
> thoroughly.

SQLite does look good. It would easier to use it make ranking work using
something that follows relational rules.

> Right now though, I think the highest medusa priority is to go the last
> mile to make it run constantly (indexing ~) when logged in... being
> very careful to stop when there's any sort of user activity (already
> using XScreensaver's idle detection code for this).

There's a lot a hard things in your sentence.  Incremental indexing and
the FAM scaling issues that Alexander Larsson wrote about a few weeks
ago.  Merging medusa-idled into the indexer and making it really work.
Once I've got medusa working on my desktop, I'll start looking to it.

> Second priority is to make a plugin interface so its easy to write new
> indexers and search phrases... esp w/o having to muck with all the db
> junk.

I've been thinking about David C Sterratt's plugin request for PDFs and
I think setting up filter chains to move content from one mime-type to
another would work.  I like the simplicity, and a to b, and I think
registering them in gconf would make development and installation
flexible.