Re: gnome-themes-extras in GNOME 2.4

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 07:20, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">
>
> > I also object to pulling some of the themes out of gnome-themes-extras
> > as that would maim the gnome-themes-extras package.
>
> Why? It's just a cvs move and build fixage.
Well my objection was related to taking the best parts out of 'my'
module gnome-themes-extra and putting it into somebody else module
which I feared might mean that I have to argue to change/fix stuff when
needed. After having had the day to think about it I realize this was a
rather retard counterproductive viewpoint, so I no longer object to
selected themes being moved to gnome-themes if that is what people want.

> > I see gnome-themes-extras as the gnome-svg-themes package and as such it
> > is different from gnome-themes and it makes sense to keep it a separate
> > package.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference. They're themes, for GNOME. Why
> would we have two packages of themes distributed with the desktop release?
> (unless one is a particularly special case, such as a11y themes, and we've
> even avoided having a separate package for those, too...)
Well the SVG do have an extra dependency (librsvg), but since that dep is part of the
desktop release too I guess that is a rather academic point.

> > Havoc also mentioned maintainership. I would like to point out that
> > gnome-themes-extras has been worked on by me, Jimmac,  Yanko Kaneti, Alex
> > Duggan and with contributions from Andrew Johnson and others over the last
> > few months, while gnome-themes haven't afaik seen a commit since it was
> > put together. Which means that if any of those themes has seen a
> > update/bugfix it hasn't been included.
>
> That has no impact on whether we ship two theme packages or not, or whether
> we merge "themes we want to release with GNOME" into one module.
>
> I fully agree with shipping some of the themes in gnome-themes-extras, even
> if if means swapping themes out of gnome-themes (well, *especially* if it
> means swapping themes out), but I really don't see any reason why we should
> ship two themes tarballs. It makes no sense to me.
Well the release-team just need to say how they want this done and what themes
they want where and I will try to do the work needed.

Christian

--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus linuxrising org>