Re: gnome-themes-extras in GNOME 2.4

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 10:50:07AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">
>
> > The package hasn't had an official release yet, because we are waiting for
> > the new Gorilla metacity theme that will be released together with XD2.
> >
> > However I would like to propose this package for GNOME 2.4 because the
> > metathemes are really nice and showcase our great SVG support.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to integrate these themes back into
> gnome-themes? Surely we don't need Yet Another Package for stuff we already
> have a module for?

Sounds like we are getting back to needing a "themes-extra" package
again.

In the past there has been a lot of (justified) concern about not
putting every theme known to mankind in the core theme module because it
just becomes too large. We need to have some themes for accessibility
reasons and some themes in order to have a nice default or two. Maybe
having one SVG theme to demonstrate the idea for people whose machines
are suitable for themes based on engines is reasonable.

But please keep a eye on the ever-increasing size of some modules like
this one you step down the slippery slope.

Malcolm

--
Telepath required. You know where to apply...