gnome and gettext

I'm trying to take care of before the string
freeze, but I had some concerns about it. I try to get more information
about that on irc, but didn't get a definitive answer, so I'm asking
Can GNOME libs assume that a "new enough" (one which supports ngettext
for example) gettext is installed?
If the answer is yes, is there a check that this new enough version is
installed somewhere in the GNOME dependency stack? Or is it only a
prerequisite like pkgconfig, fontconfig and things like that?
If the answer is no, was I too zealous when I closed ?

Thanks for any clarification :)