Re: Major feature that is missing in gnome

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:23:24AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Rodney Dawes">
>
> > How about make it behave like it does in windows, and I presume in KDE
> > also, and have it be a button like the launchers, that shows the desktop
> > the first time you you click it, and restores the windows the second time
> > you click it?
>
> That's what it does now, with two minimal differences: our launchers are not
> buttons, and the 'show desktop' button is implemented as a toggle button
> (which I think is a bloody useful thing, too - knowing which state you're in
> from the button is great).

Of course in some sense our launchers probably should be buttons, they
just aren't because the frame would look ugly...

Or as people have suggested many times, the launchers could work
exactly like desktop icon launchers in nautilus, i.e. panel should
just be a shelf that's the same as desktop background but on top.
Then you'd have to double-click them by default of course and they
would really not be very button-like.

> > I'm guessing the behavior is also incomplete in the current version and
> > doesn't handle changing window states between on/off toggles, though I
> > could be wrong.
>
> I don't grok. The button works 'as advertised'.

Yep, it's all model-view-rific. If you use the keybinding to toggle
the mode, etc. it should show up in the applet.

Havoc