Major feature that is missing in gnome

I am writing because I would really like to switch fro kde to gnome,
however there are 2 major features missing in gnome that i would like to
suggest.  1. a desktop button for the tool bar (like in kde it will
allow you to send all apps to the background and show the desktop when
you click on it again you get all your apps back in the forground just
as they were. 2. allow desktops to have seperate images for each desktop
if these features are already included please tell me how to get to them
please.
thanks and continue your great work!
--
Michael Hoffman <mchoffma kent edu>