Re: Shipping Vera with 2.4

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 13:55, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 11:31, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The problem with using CORBA is that, for simple things like what d-bus
> > would be used for, CORBA is overkill, overengineered and heavy.
> >
> > Take a look at the amount of code one would need to write to get a
> > simple IPC between to sessions of one app, with CORBA and dbus.
>
> 	It's very hard to compare a system that exists, and works with one that
> does not.

I've also got my very own thingo to do simple IPC, that I use in totem:
$ cat bacon-message-connection.[ch] | wc -l
    271

And that replaces the whole of CORBA for simple IPC purposes.

> 	I'd point you at the code in eg. gnome-terminal/terminal.c that does
> the uniqueness stuff - it's a handful of lines, but of course - if you
> want to detect errors, do activation etc. you get to write more lines of
> code. Either way it's a fraction of the code.

110 lines, command-line parsing and relative->full path helper included
in Totem so far.

> 	Of course - we should have bonobo-activation tracking all apps, and
> make that a standard feature of GnomeProgram. But of course, that would
> be obstructed as soon as it's suggested - too similar to D/BUS.

That's certainly a better idea than making Gnome apps use bonobo-conf
instead of GConf.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault