Re: splash screen and session and theme

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 10:29, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 11:46, James Henstridge wrote:
> > Kang Jeong-Hee wrote:
> >
> > >well, what do you have in mind for this issue?
> > >I want to listen to you.
> > >

> > How about making the splash screen image part of the icon theme?  That
> > way you can use the icon theme lookup functions to find the file.  This
> > way the standard splash screen could be part of the "gnome" theme in
> > gnome-icon-theme, and it would be inherited by all the other gnome icon
> > themes automatically.  Also, icon themes could choose a splash image
> > that matched the program icons it displays along the bottom edge while
> > the session loads.
>
> If you go down that path, why not make the default desktop background
> part of the icon theme?
>
> If you went down this path, you'd probably have to rename icon theme to
> "Picture theme" or "Image theme" in all user visible areas (there is a
> _long_ bug about the difference between these 2 and I can't remember
> what the difference is).

I have to agree here; the splash image should definitely remain
separately themeable.  My icon theme has little to do with my splash
screen (which I actually chose to match my GDM theme, since that seems
more natural, to me at least).  Whether the splash screen needs be in
the Metatheme configuration dialog... dunno.  Would be a bit cluttered.