Transparancy (was: gnome-terminal awfully slow. :-()

Alan <alan ufies org> writes:

>> BTW, I don't understand, why it's called "transparency". It just sets a
>> background picture behind the text.
>
> My guess is
>  a) setting the bg picture behind the text makes it look transparent
>     (except of course for windows behind the window)
>  b) 'transparency' is quicker to say than 'wallpaper image set as the
>      background of the terminal and adjusted for terminal position and
> 	 with color/opaquity options' <g>

BTW, is it possible to achieve _real_ transparency in Gnome? In other
unix environments? By now I've seen such feature only on some window
manager frames, but not in the client area.

--
\  /                                       vlad hashbang de
 \/lad                                     http://www.hashbang.de