gnome-terminal 2.2.1 :
real    0m13.687s
user    0m1.340s
sys     0m0.420s

xterm :
real    0m7.399s
user    0m1.390s
sys     0m0.390s

-> Only 1.8 times slower, much less than you reported !
And I think it's a very little performance penalty, considering that
text is now fully antialiased !

-> btw, most of the annoying bugs were slashed recently in VTE (vim w/
numlock  !!), developers really made a great job.

cheers,
--
Cedric Marcone