Re: build tools standard

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 07:44, James Henstridge wrote:
> Jonathan Blandford wrote:
>
> >Unlike most of GNOME, the autotools people use tend to come with their
> >distribution.  The concern I have is that we will drive away potential
> >developers by making it too hard for them to develop.
> >
> Of course, gnome is already fairly complex to build.  Most people are
> using build scripts to because of this, and the most popular CVS build
> scripts can install the build tools for you.

It's true that gnome is already complex to build, but that is in fact
what this proposal tries to improve.  You can't use the problem we're
trying to solve as an argument for not fixing the problem itself, that
makes no sense.

That's not to say that I'm against using automake 1.7 or anything of the
sort.  If people are willing to spend the time making that happen, I am
all for it, and will help in any way I can.  But I don't want to see
this proposal die off because we can't reach a compromise on which tools
to use.

If anyone objects to the proposal, please comment on it, so we can
modify it to suit everyone's needs.  This is about making life easier
for everyone in the long run, not about being a whiny <bleep>.

-Dan

--
Dan Mills, Desktop Ranger             -o)
email: thunder(at)ximian(dot)com      /\\