Re: build tools standard

Hi James,

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 03:57, James Henstridge wrote:
> I _really_ don't want to get to a point where we start 2.5 development
> and find updating to current build tools is impossible because we are
> relying on bugs in the old versions.

	One thing that can potentially consume several hours of un-productive,
soul-wrenching, time-wasting pain is the 'write protect srcdir on make
dist' thing.

	That can be particularly painful for the (many) Gnome projects that
build things internally, glib-genmarshal, orbit-idl-2 etc. that didn't
bother to do this in a theoretically perfect, but pragmatically no more
useful and potentially more painful way originally. [ Then again I may
have completely mis-understood what screwed me last time I tried
something newer ].

	Apart from that I'd love to use newer autotools - particularly for
people porting to obscure architectures. Then again, we have the
perennial problem of unaccountable people shoving stuff we don't need
into the bottom of the platform and breaking things we do need, creating
pointless work for us :-)

	Hmm,

		Michael.