Re: build tools standard

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 09:19  PM, James Henstridge wrote:

Rodney Dawes wrote:

I agree totally with this. libtool 1.4.3, automake 1.6, and autoconf
2.53 seem to be a good standard to use. Perhaps we should write up a
policy to propose?

Given that a lot of modules are currently using automake-1.4, this will involve upgrading those modules. If we are upgrading them, why not go to the latest versions? The older versions contain known bugs that have been fixed since then.

Sure, as long as there is some consensus about it.

Lastly, this whole discussion ignores the fact that some modules may in fact require a bug fix or new feature in an updated version of a build tool.

I am unconvinced that any module requires new functionality or a bugfix that can't wait until the next gnome release. Assuming a 6-month release schedule, that's an average of 3 months. I think that having a workaround for a few months is not an unreasonable thing to ask.

-Dan