Re: gstreamer gdk-pixbuf plugin

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 17:06, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> > > Well, then we won't install it by default.  I don't think it's meant to
> > > be used (yet), Company was trying to figure out how pixbuf loaders work
> > > and tried to implement it with GStreamer.
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > > Incidentally, is it documented somewhere that external thumbnailers are
> > > preferred over pixbuf loaders ?
> >
> > Uhm? They are not. pixbuf loaders are prefered, being the built-in way
> > thumbnails are generated. However, that was only ever meant to be used
> > for normal images, not animations...
>
> Well the question is how to solve this longterm as the problem will come
> back even if we now don't build the gstreamer loader.
>
> In fact we are already having the same issue with the loader in the
> swfdec library (flash) and since Caleb Moore is now working on adding
> animation support for librsvg it will probably happen there to.
>
> The reason Benjamin made the loader was among other things to allow us
> to use a cool AVI animation that Jimmac made in the gst-player about
> window instead of an ordinary window.
>
> Could it be that Nautilus simply shouldn't use gdkpixbuf to provide
> thumbnails at all? Instead use separate thumbnailers also for various
> image formats?

That would be pretty slow. And if we can't use our image loader system
to load images we're pretty hosed... Anyway, how would the separate
thumbnailers load the images? reimplement gdk-pixbuf, without plug-in
support?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking coffee-fuelled hairdresser who hangs with the wrong crowd.
She's a supernatural foul-mouthed socialite prone to fits of savage,
blood-crazed rage. They fight crime!