Re: XRandR integration patch

Il mar, 2003-04-22 alle 11:58, Alexander Larsson ha scritto:
> On 18 Apr 2003, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> If you'r machine is called "localhost.localdomain" the second checkbox
> really shouldn't be shown (i currently hide it for "localhost"). However
> it is needed for larger installations with shared homedir on
> non-homogenous systems where e.g. you want to use a higher/lower
> resolution on some specific machines. (This is common in e.g. university
> environments.)

Good. Both feature and solution.

> If we remove the checkboxes from the question dialog i think it will be
> easier to see the countdown. I think a progress bar would look a bit
> strange.

True, progress can be really strange and probably no-HIG (BTW are there
any suggestion about timers), but it's really visible :-)

> > So my proposal: merge them in control-center and place a chechbox in
> > capplet dialog to enable the applet/notification icon[1].
>
> I don't see why anything would need to be merged like this? Why can't the
> applet be in the applet meny like all other applets. That's were you'd
> look for it, isn't it?

Well, let me make a counterexample: mixer + mixer applet + audio pref
dialog.

First I think the mixer should be merged[1] in audio pref dialog: IMHO
volume level is a pref, don't an application.

Then, as well as you can open the mixer (complex/complete/long period
interface to audio features) from the mixer_applet (simple/partial/short
period/_QUICK_), I think that can be useful enable or disable the applet
from the pref dialog, 'cause the applet is a different/reduced way to
access to the same feature.

Yeah, it's an applet and lives in right-click menu[2], but, as user, I
have to discover it[3], and I don't know it exist while I'm working on
audio pref dialog.

I'm not saying remove applet entry form menu, I'm saying add a way to
run/enable preferences related applets from pref dialogs. But,
unfortunately, I think it's totally wrong in panel + applet paradigm.

[1] I'm speaking about ui level, don't source/package
[2] BTW How many people use more then one volume applet? ;-)
[3] I know that it's enabled in default configuration.

PS: Disclosure: I'm a BeOS UI fan :-)

--

Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it>