Re: XRandR integration patch

On 18 Apr 2003, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 19:34, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Here is a first cut at a XRandR integration patch. The UI needs some
> > polish, but it seems to work well.
>
> Just a trouble: stretched background image.
>
> I use a 1280x1024 resolution and a stretched 1024x768 image. Choosing
> image size as resolution, clicking apply, then use old in question
> alert, the image seems tiled, while the desktop prop dialog said it's
> stretched.
>
> No troubles using other resolutions.

Yes, but this is just a bug in gnome Xrandr handling, and not due to this
patch. The panel also sometimes get stuck in the middle of the screen if
you resize to a small screensize and then back. These things will probably
be fixed once this functionallity is more exposed to users.

> > Comments?
> >

> Yeah. I'm not sure about the UI.
>
> First when I change a preferences I suppose to use it until next change.
> So IMHO the "make default resolution on next login" checkbox is unuseful
> in the question alert. Same for localhost.localdomain: this shoud be a
> gconf[-editor] only option

The "make default resolution on next login" is checked by default, so
things will just work normally. However i agree that it could be removed
if we're not interested in letting you change the resolution but not
saving it.

If you'r machine is called "localhost.localdomain" the second checkbox
really shouldn't be shown (i currently hide it for "localhost"). However
it is needed for larger installations with shared homedir on
non-homogenous systems where e.g. you want to use a higher/lower
resolution on some specific machines. (This is common in e.g. university
environments.)

> Second: the timer in question dialog. Something like a progress bar
> could be more visible then a little 2[or 1] chars string. Or you can use
> a pango markup (<b> <big>), but progressbar is better, IMHO

If we remove the checkboxes from the question dialog i think it will be
easier to see the countdown. I think a progress bar would look a bit
strange.

> Third: how exactly I/we should use this capplet? I don't read previous
> thread about it, sorry, and I don't need to change resolution, but I
> think there are 2 scenarios:
>         1. I need to change my _default_ resolution (long period, use
>            chosen one for all login)
>         2. I need to _quickly_ or _frequently_ change resolution (short
>            period, use chosen one until I revert it or logout)
>
> Capplet + (test question alert) is IMHO the best UI for 1, Grandr applet
> the best for 2.

Sure, this code is for 1.

> So my proposal: merge them in control-center and place a chechbox in
> capplet dialog to enable the applet/notification icon[1].

I don't see why anything would need to be merged like this? Why can't the
applet be in the applet meny like all other applets. That's were you'd
look for it, isn't it?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional bohemian jungle king possessed of the uncanny powers of
an insect. She's a hard-bitten nymphomaniac Hell's Angel descended from a line
of powerful witches. They fight crime!