Re: [gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:47, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
>    IMHO, no video player should be included which doesn't have the
> capability to display subtitles.  Subtitles is just one of those
> fundamental requirements, especially for non-english speaking people,
> and perhaps it is important for accessibility reasons as well.

It's very important - in fact, essential - for accessibility.

Not all media formats support captioning/descriptive audio, etc., but
certainly the "GNOME media player" should be able to handle those that
do.

The ideal "big picture" solution probably involves SMIL, but that's a
bigger project.  In the meantime we certainly should try to do our best
with DVD captions/subtitles and with *.sub files where such content is
available.

What is the current gst-player/gst and totem roadmap for subtitling and
captions?

regards,

Bill