Re: [gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"
- From: Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>
- To: Gustavo J A M Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt>
- Cc: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus linuxrising org>, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>, GNOME Desktop Hackers <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, Gstreamer-Devel <gstreamer-devel lists sourceforge net>
- Subject: Re: [gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"
- Date: 22 Apr 2003 16:07:22 +0100
On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:47, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> IMHO, no video player should be included which doesn't have the
> capability to display subtitles. Subtitles is just one of those
> fundamental requirements, especially for non-english speaking people,
> and perhaps it is important for accessibility reasons as well.
It's very important - in fact, essential - for accessibility.
Not all media formats support captioning/descriptive audio, etc., but
certainly the "GNOME media player" should be able to handle those that
The ideal "big picture" solution probably involves SMIL, but that's a
bigger project. In the meantime we certainly should try to do our best
with DVD captions/subtitles and with *.sub files where such content is
What is the current gst-player/gst and totem roadmap for subtitling and
> AFAIK, neither totem nor gst-player support that. I see a menu option
> in totem, but it is not sensitive, so I imagine it only works for DVDs,
> not media files with a separate .sub file.
> I only wish someone would make a HIG/GNOME-friendly mplayer frontend,
> until GStreamer players stabilize.
> Just my .02 €. Regards.
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
> <gjc inescporto pt> <gustavo users sourceforge net>
> desktop-devel-list mailing list
> desktop-devel-list gnome org
] [Thread Prev