Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 14:12, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> lör 2003-04-12 klockan 11.13 skrev Bastien Nocera:
>
> > Doesn't use the "standard media backend", I agree. Doesn't use the
> > standard gconf keys, no, there's no need for them, they're autodetected,
> > it works out of the box on most machines. (The audio output can be
> > configured via gconf for my very own testing purposes, it's not
> > configurable in the UI). In fact, needing to have gconf keys seems to me
> > like it's a "flaw" in design more than anything else.
>
> I really think the "standard media backend" is a very important reason
> not to just throw Totem (however nice it is [1]) into GNOME.
>
> Let's not go down the road again when we provide multiple API's to do
> the same thing, it's frustrating and hard for new (and old) developeres
> to know what to use.
>
> I'm under the impression that we are buying into GStreamer and not Xine.
> If this was/is a mistake we should reconsider instead of throwing
> another one in.

No, I'm not pushing for xine in the development platform, I'm only
trying to make a movie player that works. This would just push Totem to
the desktop, not xine.

> If we all agree that the long term goal is to go with GStreamer, then
> Bastien if serious on having Totem in GNOME should port Totem to use
> GStreamer and put his efforts into making Totem/GStreamer work just
> aswell. And imho it's better to hold of one release with the media
> player than to throw something in there that makes the desktop depend on
> two different backends.

That's a bit of a bummer, but if that's what it takes to get a movie
player (optional...), then it's a small price to pay.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault