Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

lör 2003-04-12 klockan 11.13 skrev Bastien Nocera:

> Doesn't use the "standard media backend", I agree. Doesn't use the
> standard gconf keys, no, there's no need for them, they're autodetected,
> it works out of the box on most machines. (The audio output can be
> configured via gconf for my very own testing purposes, it's not
> configurable in the UI). In fact, needing to have gconf keys seems to me
> like it's a "flaw" in design more than anything else.

I really think the "standard media backend" is a very important reason
not to just throw Totem (however nice it is [1]) into GNOME.

Let's not go down the road again when we provide multiple API's to do
the same thing, it's frustrating and hard for new (and old) developeres
to know what to use.

I'm under the impression that we are buying into GStreamer and not Xine.
If this was/is a mistake we should reconsider instead of throwing
another one in.

If we all agree that the long term goal is to go with GStreamer, then
Bastien if serious on having Totem in GNOME should port Totem to use
GStreamer and put his efforts into making Totem/GStreamer work just
aswell. And imho it's better to hold of one release with the media
player than to throw something in there that makes the desktop depend on
two different backends.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

[1] Which imo is _very_ nice and I would love to see it in GNOME
    (but only if it's using the media toolkit we are buying into).
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/