Re: galeon and epiphany common config ( was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 06:47, Julien Olivier wrote:

> I think that would be great if you could store such things in a neutral
> place (gconf for example) and tell any app to use them. For example,
> Mozilla, Phoenix, Konqueror, Epiphany, Galeon1/2 all should be bale to
> find your preferences from the same source. The some goes for email
> programs. If you configure Evolution, Balsa, Mozilla Mail and KMail
> should be able to re-use the config (POP/IMAP servers, delete messages
> on server?, passwords, display by threads?, the emails themselfs, the
> filters etc...).
>
> Would'nt that be possible using gconf ?

I was thinking the same thing, but why not in an even more neutral
place, like a single configuration in the home dir?  Isn't the same
thing done with recent files?  Excuse me if I'm getting this wrong.

Either way, it seems that it would make it possible for all apps to have
access to the default browser setting under any desktop environment.  Is
there any initiative to standardize where settings are stored for
default apps across desktops?  I can see why this might be good (easier
for DEs and app writers), and why this could be bad (I might use
different default apps under Gnome as opposed to those I use under
KDE)...

  - Pat