Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:08:12PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> But in this case, with the browser, it's a harder problem. Now we have two
> projects to choose from, both of which have their merits, some historical
> baggage, and no one wants to offend the maintainers or get anyone
> off-side.

Well, everybody flames me all the time anyway, so I'll go ahead and
advocate epiphany. I've been using epiphany for months; other than the
occasional bug, which have been getting fixed, it's great.  The
bookmarks stuff wasn't done last time I compiled, but Marco did a UI
design for it in advance. Starting with user tasks, moving on to
mockups, etc. The UI spec looked very reasonable and I'm confident
we'll have good results there. Anyway, this is a model that all GNOME
maintainers should follow.

I have a lot of confidence in both Marco's ability to get a working
browser written, and his UI instincts.

Historically speaking, I *thought* Galeon was forked off specifically
because Epiphany wanted to follow GNOME direction - if Galeon says
they want to follow GNOME direction now, can someone explain to me why
we have two browsers then?

On the minus side for Epiphany, we will need tarballs for the GNOME
snapshots, and by the time it's in a GNOME release we'll need an
Epiphany that builds against a stable Mozilla/GRE release.

Havoc