Re: why did you write gossip?

sön 2003-04-13 klockan 00.17 skrev Marius Andreiana:

> The only bad think I can see about it is the use of 'gaim' prefix for
> some structures, instead of something more generic (like 'im'). I have
> nothing against this, but other people may have. Here are Christian
> Hammond comments, gaim developer:

This is by no means a problem to me.

> > What we feel at this point is that
> >
> > *) We want a GNOME2 client that is primarily a Jabber client
> > *) We want a client that has as clean UI as Gossip (GAIM has quite a
> >    long way to go on this point and I'd be willing to discuss it if
> >    someone is interested).
> > *) We think the GAIM way (client side plugins for various protocols) is
> >    way for a GNOME included IM client (since it's more reliable for end
> >    users)
> So gaim can't be used for this because of
> 1. UI
> 2. gaim developers being reluctant to gnome integration
> 3. gaim is multi-platform, can't depend on gnome libraries
>
> I think the best choice is gossip on top of libgaim. This way we can
> benefit of gaim's multi-protocol support ( working right now, no need to
> re-implement in gossip ) and GNOME-friendly UI/integration.

Ok, sounds great, that would probably be the best solution to if GAIM
developers doesn't want to make the app a GNOME app.

If someone would be kind enough to drop me a mail when libgaim is
released by itself? I'll try to keep a close look at gaim to see what
happends.

> gaim is already working at splitting the backend from UI, but it's not
> there yet. It's being moved to gaim/libgaim/. Maybe it can be done
> during the gnome 2.4 frame with help. It doesn't have API docs yet, only
> comments in source.

It's probably not doable to have both libgaim finished and Gossip ported
to it within GNOME 2.4 timeframe.

> PS: I asked gaim-devel about jabber being the default, will stick to
> AIM.

Ok, this isn't really a problem since it's a UI issue and we can make
Jabber the default in Gossip.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/