Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 13:30, Chipzz wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Sander Vesik wrote:
>
> > gtk(mm)? There isn't really a reason for mozilla dropping xul

> And what about accessibility?

Mozilla's XUL widgets already do a pretty good job of supporting ATK and
complete support is planned, the Mozilla team is still working on it.  I
don't see an accessibility issue here provided Moz is willing to do the
work to make the XUL widgets interoperate with accessibility APIs and
needs (i.e. theming, ATK, keynav).  The GTK+ look isn't 100% yet but
it's getting there too, miles ahead of what was there before.

> Personnally, I can see a lot of good reasons why NOT to use XUL. (Thou I
> must admit that I haven't used it to program yet).

The #1 reason for using any roll-your-own UI toolkit is cross-platform
consistency.  This sometimes conflicts with inter-platform consistency,
but the two goals are just naturally in tension with one another, and if
you want to sell a product to something other than a niche market you
have to listen to both camps.  People will scream either way, so one has
to try and do both at once.

-Bill