Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 01:49, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
|  El lun, 07 de 04 de 2003 a las 22:12, Vadim Plessky escribió:
|  > On Monday 07 April 2003 23:57, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
|  > |  El lun, 07 de 04 de 2003 a las 21:39, Vadim Plessky escribió:
|  > |  [...]
|  > |
|  > |  > And I can't take seriously statements that "Nautilus doesn't
|  > |  > require Web View/embedded browser component"
|  > |  > For the Heavens sake, *how* you can have modern Desktop without
|  > |  > integrated browser?..
|  > |
|  > |  Hmmmm
|  > |
|  > |  Please define "modern Desktop".
|  >
|  > Windows+MS IE+Outlook.
|  > KDE+Konqueror+KMail.
|  > MacOS X+Safari (don't remember how they name e-mail client)
|
|  You are not talking then about file manager with web browser features,
|  so:
|
|  GNOME + Galeon/Epiphany + Evolution

GNOME is in Beta process and still doesn't have reasonable File Open dialog
(delayed for GNOME 2.6, as Iheard?)
Galeon/Epiphany are in Beta process and use unstable Mozilla API. So, I would
call it unstable.
Evolution is also in early Beta. It still has to grow to become GNOME 2.x
application, than come through painful Beta stage (1 year?..) and than
stabilize.

Taking it all together,  I believe that GNOME would be quite useful in 18
months.
Question: what user should do if he lnows for sure that nothing would come out
iin nearest 18 months?

|  What's the problem with that?
|
|  > |  Apple's MacOS is  a really modern Desktop and does NOT integrate the
|  > |  browser inside their Finder (Finder is the MacOS Nautilus)
|  >
|  > Safary would be released soon.
|  > Missing browser was one of key MacOS weaknesses.
|
|  We are working also with Galeon and epiphany and you can install galeon
|  since gnome 1.4 so we are a «modern desktop» as you understand it...

Apart from the fact that stable Galeon is still using GTK1/GNOME 1.4

[...]
|  > On the other hand, Mozilla team can't deliver good browser even after 5
|  > years of work. So, it's rather stupid to discuss wether GNOME should
|  > have Galeon or Epiphany.
|  > If you want nice GNOME - than GNOME *should not* have Gecko-based
|  > browser!
|
|  That affirmation is as if I tell you: Windows team cannot deliver a good
|  Operating system even after more than 20 years of work, so it's stupid
|  that Microsoft exists... (Change Microsoft and Windows with KDE,
|  NextStep, Linux, FreeBSD, etc...)

Microsoft is very agressive in Sales Channel, and quite strong inmarketing.
While they tend to ignore needs of individual users, they understand quite
well Corporate needs.  And selling directly to Corporate customers.

|  I don't see an independent report that shows us that affirmation so it's
|  only your point of view, if you don't like mozilla, use konkeror, if you
|  don't like GNOME, use KDE, or help us fixing them, don't say «It's  not
|  good» Tell us what things are not working and help us fixing those
|  problems (if you can) but don't eat my precious time with this kind of
|  mails.

My major interest inside GNOME project is in librsvg2.
I believe I supplied a number of testcases.
Unfortunately, I am very short on time nowdays to do something more.
May be, next year :-)

|  > |  GNOME, MacOSX, KDE, Windows and others I don't know/remember are
|  > | modern desktops but don't do the things the same way...
|
|  Cheers.

Cheers,

Vadim
--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net