Re: keyboard layout

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 03:11:05PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> I don't have access to either a Windows or Mac machine to see what they
> do, so what are the scenarios that need to be solved here? The ones I
> know of from seeing people work in foreign languages are:
>
> 	- How do I set up GNOME to use my keyboard which is a ...
> 	  (select one from a number of choices)?
> 	- How do I set up GNOME to use input from input method XYZ (in
> 	  conjunction with my keyboard)?
> 	- How do I rebind a particular key on my keyboard (e.g. making a
> 	  particular key the composition multi-key)?
>
> Are there other cases that need covering?

In addition to setting up a default, there's the thing the applet
does, which is to let you go back and forth easily.  There's even been
some interest in remembering this setting per-toplevel-window instead
of globally.

I think there are also some UI issues with giving user feedback about
the active input method, etc. Right now the only way to change input
method is in the right click menu on text entries...

I don't really know though, in any detail. I just have a vague
impression that there's a fairly large area of Issues here, and it'd
be nice to go after it with a single coherent UI design and some solid
code.

Havoc