Re: [Galeon-devel] RE: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!
- From: Sven Luther <luther dpt-info u-strasbg fr>
- To: Julien Olivier <julo altern org>
- Cc: mpeseng tin it, Murray Cumming Comneon com, jdub perkypants org, desktop-devel-list gnome org, epiphany mozdev org, galeon-devel lists sourceforge net
- Subject: Re: [Galeon-devel] RE: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!
- Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 08:07:54 +0200
On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 01:00:36AM +0200, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > The adoption of a simpler interface by mozilla.org is very positive and
> > partially overlap our project goals but I think there is still a very strong
> > point to continue our effort.
> > I think the native interface is the best way to achieve the GNOME integration
> > a browser need to be really usable. It's easier and more likely to produce
> > good results. Native widgets and HIG compliance are alone already worth
> > the effort.
> I really think that if we need a native browser to make it usable, then
> there is something broken in the Linux desktop area. And creating a
> "native" browser won't fix the actual problem which is that non-GTK apps
> don't integrate well in GNOME and non-QT apps don't integrate well in
> KDE. So, instead of writing a native GNOME web browser, wouldn't it be
> smarter to work on Phoenix integration on the GNOME/KDE desktops (maybe
> using freedesktop.org standards) ?
But you forget that mozilla is still working on Camino, with a native
interface, and that one of the advantages of galeon is that it uses a
faster toolkit than XUL or whatever it is named.
] [Thread Prev