Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 04:30, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2003 11:07, Ross Burton wrote:
> > 1) CUPS isn't ubiquitous. I doubt it even has 50% of the print server
> > market on Unix systems
>
> CUPS is pretty much OK now and now they have removed that raster2ps
> (ps2raster) binary from it which was a forked ghostscript and not really
> usable with ggv, kghostview and so on. The new CUPS uses the native
> ghostscript now (still the eps version but that's ok) now you can combine
> CUPS and ghostscript-eps seamless together and get cool results. The day I
> heard about it was the day I removed the lpRNG and ApsFilter garbage and
> replaced it with CUPS, no crappy configuration anymore, no pain nothing one
> time setup up and it works perfectly. Even KDE supports a cool CUPS
> integration which all sorts of options and things like preview and and and..
> The new GNOMEPRINT supports CUPS too and adds 2-3 drivers for it as well. I
> pretty much recommend the switch to CUPS better today than tomorrow.

a) Just becuase *you* use CUPS doesn't mean the vast majority of other
people do.  Same goes that just because *I* CUPS doesn't mean everyone
else does.
b) CUPS is only really popular on Linux/BSD systems.  Commercial UNIXs
have their own print spoolers.  GNOME isn't just for Linux/BSD - if you
disagree, have a talk with any of the multitude of Sun or IBM or HP or
SGI hackers here. ^,^
c) Everything CUPS can do from an application's point of view can be
done elsewhere.  Things like preview don't depend *that* greatly on the
drivers (tho it can help be more accurate, I suppose).  We don't need
CUPS for preview.  CUPS' advantage is, mostly, flexibility of drivers
(GNOME doesn't care about those, it's not an OS or driver vendor) and
the amount of remote protocols (again, GNOME shouldn't care *which*
protocol is used).
d) The only advantage standardizing has is to help make a unified
printer configuration dialog.  That can easily enough be done with a
generic tool that plugs in print spool backends - then I could configure
several different kinds of printers, and make it easy for third-parties
to develop custom config backends for their customized systems.  (It'd
be quite spiffy, for example, to have a "Print to Website" option here
for auto-matically exporting documents to PDF then uploading it into the
web admin system for our public site.)