Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

tor 2002-09-26 klockan 19.15 skrev Malcolm Tredinnick:

> The GEP proposes that each new platform beta and release candidate will
> require a new library release with the macro version number changed.
> That does seem a little excessive when a library is basically stable
> (and I tend to agree with Michael's comment that it leaves people
> wondering what has changed. The ChangeLog will only say "released new
> version", after all).

More importantly, people will have to download a new version of the same
package with the only change being the package version. If you are on a
modem that will piss you off pretty soon. And patches doesn't help you
here, look at those that run Debian with apt-get for example. You want
the absolute minimum to be download when you do a 'apt-get upgrade' and
not the same packages again with the exact same data in theme.

Maybe this has already been raised (haven't payed to much attention to
the thread to be honest, I personally don't see this as a great
improvement over having a good list/ftp structure that makes it very
clear which versions are included in a certain release).

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal